It’s amazing to think that not so many years ago, we didn’t have the Internet to rely on for our everyday questions. Think about it, how many times a day do you Google a topic, a company or even a person? According to the latest US Digital Media Usage Report, over 75% of us turn to online sources everyday.
Unfortunately, manufacturers have been slow to adopt the Internet as their primary means of communicating with top prospects. Below are five eye-popping statistics and what they should mean to your marketing strategy.
1. 75.6% of the US population will be Internet users in 2012 – No other form of media, including TV, reaches as many people on a daily basis. Manufacturers have a greater opportunity to reach more prospects with their story and broaden their lead pool than through any other channel. When was the last time you were able to reach over ¾ of your target audience?
2. 83.9% of Internet users will browse or research products online in 2012 – This one really doesn’t need an explanation. R&D personnel, purchasing professionals and sales/marketing teams all gain valuable information impacting their likelihood of purchasing products and services everyday.
3. Mobile Internet users will reach 113.9 million in 2012 – Wow! 36.4% of the US population now access Internet content on their mobile devices. Unfortunately, less than 20% of websites are currently optimized to be viewable on these devices. Creating a mobile-friendly version of its website should be top of the priority list for any manufacturer – assuming an online strategy is in place.
4. 2/3 of web users will use social networks in 2012 – Don’t think social media is important to your organization? Think again. Over 50% of the US population regularly participates in social media. No longer just for personal recreation, social media is now a valuable source for information, referrals and networking. In fact, LinkedIn – a well-known social network for businesses and professionals grew over 600% in 2011. Every manufacturer should have a social media strategy to be where their prospects are looking.
5. 55.3% of the population and 70.8% of Internet users will watch online video in 2012 – If a picture is worth a thousand words, what is a short but sweet video worth? Lots! Today’s time-starved professionals are looking for ways to get the most information in the easiest to digest manner. A well crafted demo, introduction or tutorial on key messages are a great way for manufacturers to be memorable.
If you don’t already have a well defined online and social media strategy, 2012 is the year to get them in place. To learn more about how Inbound Marketing can make a huge difference in your marketing return, download our free tip sheet: Website Usability Checklist For Inbound Marketing.