Our team at Weidert Group had the pleasure of spending Monday's lunch hour listening to a webinar with Rand Fishkin, CEO of SEOmoz, and Dharmesh Shah, CTO and co-founder of HubSpot. That webinar being The State of SEO & Internet Marketing in 2012.
We've been studying and covering a lot of the changes taking place in the SEO world in the last couple of months, which are mainly tied to Google's public algorithm changes, and we didn't want to miss this highly anticipated webinar with two leading figures in the SEO industry. In case you missed it, we have you covered!
Here's some of the more notable highlights we took away from the webinar that we wanted to share with our readers.
- As of August 2012, there's 3 billion searches conducted online each day
- 75% of all clicks are on organic search results, versus paid links
- Per point #2, more than 50% of search queries have no paid ads at all - meaning without appearing in the organic results you won't be found!
- With paid search ads, such as Google AdWords, you are simply renting attention. Similar to when you're done renting an apartment, you have nothing to show for once you're done paying
- Based on SEOmoz survey of 4,431 respondents that have job responsibilities in SEO:
- Content creation is the predominant SEO and social media tactic being embraced because it works!
- Social/Community Management saw huge growth in the last year, as well as Local SEO and Content Creation
- The most popular forms of marketing content are blog posts, social media, article & guides, and press releases
- If you don't have plans to implement a mobile website at least make a responsive design website that adjusts for mobile devices
You can dig into the webinar slides for yourself since these are only the highlights, but the underlying theme in what was covered is the fact the Inbound Marketing principles such as content creation and social media activity are driving modern-day SEO.
A point that Dharmesh made that isn't outlined above is to always challenge yourself on why you deserve to rank ahead of everyone else (for a particular keyword or phrase). Remember to solve for the humans not the search bots! Google and other search engines have one goal: to offer the best user experience possible for those looking to answer a question or solve a problem through search. If you set out to create the best user experience through awesome content presented in a fun and creative way, you're bound to win.
Learn How to Optimize Your Social Media Profiles
Frank was key to establishing Weidert Group as an inbound marketing leader when we first adopted this approach. He has a knack for using technology to amplify smart marketing strategies, and a deep knowledge of SEO and content promotion, exceptional project management skills, and a thorough understanding of HubSpot's marketing and sales products.